@IdealBite - (S)UV Ray of Sunshine : Guilty Pleasures Week
- Sustainability is in the DNA at Jackson Family Wines (01/27/2015)
- Could 2015 Be the Tipping Point for U.S. Renewables? (01/08/2015)
- European Directive Mandates Non-financial Reporting (10/23/2014)
- The Job Creation Potential of Alternative Energy (09/18/2014)
- Hotels Find Valuable Option in Carbon Offsets (08/06/2014)
LEED Green Building
- Greenbuild 2014: Leadership Jazz (10/21/2014)
- Renewable Choice Energy Offsets FIFA World Cup Stadiums (06/17/2014)
- LEED® v4 and Green-e® Climate Certified Carbon Offsets (03/31/2014)
- Shippensburg University Project Showcases Value of USGBC LEED® Certification System (03/13/2014)
- LEED® v4 Certification Prepares to Roll Out in Canada (03/03/2014)
- WRI’s New Guidance on Scope 2 Emissions: What Does it Mean? (01/30/2015)
- Energy Storage & Recycling: The New Frontiers of Energy Efficiency (01/14/2015)
- A Reflection on Gratitude (11/25/2014)
- The Role of Community Wind (11/06/2014)
- EPA Green Power Partnership Announces Top Lists (11/05/2014)
- Top 10 Tips for a More Sustainable Holiday Season (12/05/2014)
- 500,000+ Voices Strong for Climate Action (09/23/2014)
- Climate Change is Not a Political Issue (05/08/2014)
- Celebrating Earth Day 2014 (04/22/2014)
- Hour for the Earth - 2014 (03/28/2014)
by Jen Biederman on 02/02/2009
Green(er?) SUVs - Green Living Tip Brought to you by Ideal Bite
It's sunny you ask... Our maybe-not-so-bright idea for this week's tips: Bring you the greenest of the nongreen. And what better way to kick off the week than with something only CEOs wearing golden parachutes can afford right now: SUVs (the most eco of which are - wait for it - actually greener than regular passenger cars).
- Lightening your impact. Since calculating fuel efficiency is a fancy, nonintuitive equation, increasing your gas mileage from, say, 14 to 16 mpg saves as much gas as increasing it from 35 to 50 mpg.
- They're SUVs. There's all that room for skis and bikes and dogs (yeah, yeah, we ski like once a year, we know...)
Jen From Renewable Choice Says: While choosing a hybrid or bio-diesel non-SUV option is really the most environmentally friendly practice (second to walking or riding your bike), if you happen to live in a mountainous state that gets hefty snowfalls, a SmartCar isn't exactly the best option. That being said, it is still difficult for me to endorse even hybrid SUVs- their gas mileage is not yet even up to par with regular cars, not to mention sedan hybrids- the good news is, there are several non-SUV, mountain friendly cars and wagons that won't kill your pocketbook at the pump that are also working towards more envrionmentally sound practices. One of the most popular vehicles I've seen here in Colorado is the Subaru- either the Forester or the Outback- both get pretty good gas mileage and also have 4-wheel drive to get you up those snowy mountain passes. While neither model comes in a hybrid version yet, both are better choices than a gas-guzzling, mega-carbon producing SUV monster.
Jen Biederman is a Customer Service and Communications Specialist for Renewable Choice Energy.