@IdealBite - (S)UV Ray of Sunshine : Guilty Pleasures Week
- Happy Holidays from Renewable Choice and Mosaic Labs! (12/09/2013)
- Green Power Partnership Publishes its Top Partners Lists (11/15/2013)
- New York State to Open Green Bank (10/31/2013)
- The Rising Current of Green Gyms Around the World (07/23/2013)
- CDP Supply Chain Program Deadline Approaches (07/12/2013)
LEED Green Building
- LEED® v4 to Debut at Greenbuild Conference (08/22/2013)
- What is the LEED® EAC4? (07/18/2013)
- 7th annual Los Angeles Business Council (LABC) Sustainability Summit (04/29/2013)
- Greening the Green Building Industry (03/26/2013)
- Earth Rangers Journey to LEED® Platinum (02/21/2013)
- Renewable Energy Finance Tactic Changes the Game (12/04/2013)
- We Are Thankful 2013 (11/18/2013)
- The Little Engines That Could: How Grassroots Stopped Oil & Gas Encroachment in Colorado (11/13/2013)
- Carbon-Neutral Energy Attainable Through Gasification System (11/06/2013)
- EPA Expands Green Power Partnership Program (10/17/2013)
- Climate Change Comes Home (10/21/2013)
- 3 Apps to Help You Use Less Energy in Your Home (10/15/2013)
- How to Ride 4700 Miles on a Bamboo Bike without Flipping on a Light Switch (08/26/2013)
- The Connection between Climate and Waste (08/01/2013)
- Economics of Sustainability White Paper Delivers (07/25/2013)
by Jen Biederman on 02/02/2009
Green(er?) SUVs - Green Living Tip Brought to you by Ideal Bite
It's sunny you ask... Our maybe-not-so-bright idea for this week's tips: Bring you the greenest of the nongreen. And what better way to kick off the week than with something only CEOs wearing golden parachutes can afford right now: SUVs (the most eco of which are - wait for it - actually greener than regular passenger cars).
- Lightening your impact. Since calculating fuel efficiency is a fancy, nonintuitive equation, increasing your gas mileage from, say, 14 to 16 mpg saves as much gas as increasing it from 35 to 50 mpg.
- They're SUVs. There's all that room for skis and bikes and dogs (yeah, yeah, we ski like once a year, we know...)
Jen From Renewable Choice Says: While choosing a hybrid or bio-diesel non-SUV option is really the most environmentally friendly practice (second to walking or riding your bike), if you happen to live in a mountainous state that gets hefty snowfalls, a SmartCar isn't exactly the best option. That being said, it is still difficult for me to endorse even hybrid SUVs- their gas mileage is not yet even up to par with regular cars, not to mention sedan hybrids- the good news is, there are several non-SUV, mountain friendly cars and wagons that won't kill your pocketbook at the pump that are also working towards more envrionmentally sound practices. One of the most popular vehicles I've seen here in Colorado is the Subaru- either the Forester or the Outback- both get pretty good gas mileage and also have 4-wheel drive to get you up those snowy mountain passes. While neither model comes in a hybrid version yet, both are better choices than a gas-guzzling, mega-carbon producing SUV monster.
Jen Biederman is a Customer Service and Communications Specialist for Renewable Choice Energy.