Thigh Thawer - Green Living Tip Brought to you by Ideal Bite
- Sustainability is in the DNA at Jackson Family Wines (01/27/2015)
- Could 2015 Be the Tipping Point for U.S. Renewables? (01/08/2015)
- European Directive Mandates Non-financial Reporting (10/23/2014)
- The Job Creation Potential of Alternative Energy (09/18/2014)
- Hotels Find Valuable Option in Carbon Offsets (08/06/2014)
LEED Green Building
- Greenbuild 2014: Leadership Jazz (10/21/2014)
- Renewable Choice Energy Offsets FIFA World Cup Stadiums (06/17/2014)
- LEED® v4 and Green-e® Climate Certified Carbon Offsets (03/31/2014)
- Shippensburg University Project Showcases Value of USGBC LEED® Certification System (03/13/2014)
- LEED® v4 Certification Prepares to Roll Out in Canada (03/03/2014)
- President Obama Ups the Sustainability Ante with a New Executive Order (03/30/2015)
- How One Texas Town is Upsetting the Fossil Fuel Apple Cart (03/27/2015)
- Climate Leadership Conference Highlights Successes (03/16/2015)
- Falling Prices and Tax Incentives Driving Explosive Renewable Growth (02/23/2015)
- The Unstoppable Force of Renewables (02/13/2015)
- Earth Day 2015: Celebrating Renewables (04/21/2015)
- Top 10 Tips for a More Sustainable Holiday Season (12/05/2014)
- 500,000+ Voices Strong for Climate Action (09/23/2014)
- Climate Change is Not a Political Issue (05/08/2014)
- Celebrating Earth Day 2014 (04/22/2014)
by Jen Biederman on 12/10/2008
Thaw Out Your Frozen Foods While Conserving Water
Are the ice caps thawing faster than your frozen skinless breasts?
Make no boneless legs about it, next time you thaw something from the freezer, stick it in the fridge the night before. Or, if you're crunched for time, immerse it in water or zap it in the microwave - either way, you'll cut(let) H2O waste from running them under the tap. Energy waste: Prepare to meat your match.
• (Drum)sticking it to water waste. Regular faucets use 3-5 gallons per minute, so thawing out that chicken breast can drain a tank fast.
• More money for giblets. You can save about $25 per year on your water bill by adopting this tip.
• Getting a leg up on energy waste. If you normally run your frozen foods under hot water, you'll save a little power and money on water heating by sticking them in the fridge or immersing them in H2O instead.