Ogden Publications Adds New Layer of Green
- Sustainability is in the DNA at Jackson Family Wines (01/27/2015)
- Could 2015 Be the Tipping Point for U.S. Renewables? (01/08/2015)
- European Directive Mandates Non-financial Reporting (10/23/2014)
- The Job Creation Potential of Alternative Energy (09/18/2014)
- Hotels Find Valuable Option in Carbon Offsets (08/06/2014)
LEED Green Building
- Greenbuild 2014: Leadership Jazz (10/21/2014)
- Renewable Choice Energy Offsets FIFA World Cup Stadiums (06/17/2014)
- LEED® v4 and Green-e® Climate Certified Carbon Offsets (03/31/2014)
- Shippensburg University Project Showcases Value of USGBC LEED® Certification System (03/13/2014)
- LEED® v4 Certification Prepares to Roll Out in Canada (03/03/2014)
- How Tesla is Partnering with Jackson Family Wines to Disrupt the Energy Market (06/23/2015)
- President Obama Ups the Sustainability Ante with a New Executive Order (03/30/2015)
- How One Texas Town is Upsetting the Fossil Fuel Apple Cart (03/27/2015)
- Climate Leadership Conference Highlights Successes (03/16/2015)
- Falling Prices and Tax Incentives Driving Explosive Renewable Growth (02/23/2015)
- The Energy-Water Nexus: Renewables May be the Answer to Widespread Drought (06/29/2015)
- Earth Day 2015: Celebrating Renewables (04/21/2015)
- Top 10 Tips for a More Sustainable Holiday Season (12/05/2014)
- 500,000+ Voices Strong for Climate Action (09/23/2014)
- Climate Change is Not a Political Issue (05/08/2014)
by Megan Brown on 06/03/2009
Ogden Moves into Clean Energy with a 100% Offset Commitment.
Ogden Publications, publisher of brands such as Mother Earth News, Utne Reader and Natural Home has added to its environmental stewardship initiatives by supporting renewable energy and working on balancing its carbon emissions. It announced its commitment to offset 100% of its electricity use by purchasing 1.2 million kWh of renewable energy credits (RECs). This investment was tallied by figuring out Ogden’s electricity usage for its offices in Kansas and Minnesota and its printing facilities for all 10 publications.
With this new commitment, Odgen is also now a member of the EPA’s Green Power Partnership. According to the EPA, Ogden is also recognized as the largest 100% commitment by a publisher within its program. The carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions that are avoided with this purchase are similar to taking 158 average passenger vehicles off the road for a year.
As the largest and longest running publisher for the green community, Ogden has an array of green-inspired initiatives such as increasing its energy efficiency, getting an energy audit this spring, updating lighting ballasts, installing tubular skylights and adding insulation to its roof. Ogden has also recieved a number of awards for its environmental practices that include:
- 2009 SustainPrint Longtime Leader award from Publishing Executive magazine
- 2009 nominee for Green Dot Awards / Green Magazine category
- 2008 Environmental Leader award from the inaugural Go Green Expo
- Member of Green America (formerly Coop America) Business Network. To join, applicants must go through a screening process to determine their commitment to socially and environmentally responsible business practices.
Learn more about Ogden Publications’ green initiatives.
Ogden Publications has a green team that has helped get all departments involved in environmental practices. It provides a forum to suggest ideas and activities that will help the organization continue to go stay on the path of sustainability. ~ Megan
Megan Brown is the Client Relations Manager for Renewable Choice.