Ogden Publications Adds New Layer of Green
- Happy Holidays from Renewable Choice and Mosaic Labs! (12/09/2013)
- Green Power Partnership Publishes its Top Partners Lists (11/15/2013)
- New York State to Open Green Bank (10/31/2013)
- The Rising Current of Green Gyms Around the World (07/23/2013)
- CDP Supply Chain Program Deadline Approaches (07/12/2013)
LEED Green Building
- LEED® v4 to Debut at Greenbuild Conference (08/22/2013)
- What is the LEED® EAC4? (07/18/2013)
- 7th annual Los Angeles Business Council (LABC) Sustainability Summit (04/29/2013)
- Greening the Green Building Industry (03/26/2013)
- Earth Rangers Journey to LEED® Platinum (02/21/2013)
- Renewable Energy Finance Tactic Changes the Game (12/04/2013)
- We Are Thankful 2013 (11/18/2013)
- The Little Engines That Could: How Grassroots Stopped Oil & Gas Encroachment in Colorado (11/13/2013)
- Carbon-Neutral Energy Attainable Through Gasification System (11/06/2013)
- EPA Expands Green Power Partnership Program (10/17/2013)
- Climate Change Comes Home (10/21/2013)
- 3 Apps to Help You Use Less Energy in Your Home (10/15/2013)
- How to Ride 4700 Miles on a Bamboo Bike without Flipping on a Light Switch (08/26/2013)
- The Connection between Climate and Waste (08/01/2013)
- Economics of Sustainability White Paper Delivers (07/25/2013)
by Megan Brown on 06/03/2009
Ogden Moves into Clean Energy with a 100% Offset Commitment.
Ogden Publications, publisher of brands such as Mother Earth News, Utne Reader and Natural Home has added to its environmental stewardship initiatives by supporting renewable energy and working on balancing its carbon emissions. It announced its commitment to offset 100% of its electricity use by purchasing 1.2 million kWh of renewable energy credits (RECs). This investment was tallied by figuring out Ogden’s electricity usage for its offices in Kansas and Minnesota and its printing facilities for all 10 publications.
With this new commitment, Odgen is also now a member of the EPA’s Green Power Partnership. According to the EPA, Ogden is also recognized as the largest 100% commitment by a publisher within its program. The carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions that are avoided with this purchase are similar to taking 158 average passenger vehicles off the road for a year.
As the largest and longest running publisher for the green community, Ogden has an array of green-inspired initiatives such as increasing its energy efficiency, getting an energy audit this spring, updating lighting ballasts, installing tubular skylights and adding insulation to its roof. Ogden has also recieved a number of awards for its environmental practices that include:
- 2009 SustainPrint Longtime Leader award from Publishing Executive magazine
- 2009 nominee for Green Dot Awards / Green Magazine category
- 2008 Environmental Leader award from the inaugural Go Green Expo
- Member of Green America (formerly Coop America) Business Network. To join, applicants must go through a screening process to determine their commitment to socially and environmentally responsible business practices.
Learn more about Ogden Publications’ green initiatives.
Ogden Publications has a green team that has helped get all departments involved in environmental practices. It provides a forum to suggest ideas and activities that will help the organization continue to go stay on the path of sustainability. ~ Megan
Megan Brown is the Client Relations Manager for Renewable Choice.